Grow fast, die young
Commonly confined in a barren shed, and bred to grow so large, so quickly, a factory farmed meat chicken can struggle simply to survive. His own body, in effect, becomes a CAGE.
- His little legs may buckle under the surging weight of his frame;
- Every breath he takes can be difficult because his heart and lungs simply can’t keep up with his rapidly swelling body;
- Lethargic from the effects of increasing size, he may not even be able to reach food or water;
- Many of these animals can do little but squat for hours, maybe days, in dirty litter that can burn their legs and chest.
Please will you make a stand for these animals. We must not let them continue to suffer, in their billions, behind closed doors.
Please make a donation today to help end the genetic abuse and cruel confinement of farm animals.
Together we can turn this around
It is possible to farm chickens profitably AND without cruelty. We just need companies and consumers to make the leap for chicken welfare. And we are so proud that, thanks to people like you, Compassion has been able to build a unique, international team with the expertise and influence to help transform the chicken industry.
In fact, Compassion’s work to stop animal suffering through the ‘Better Chicken Commitment’ has already helped secure impressive uptake from big brands like KFC, Unilever, Nestlé and Waitrose. We estimate around 950 million chickens in the UK, Europe and US are set to benefit every year when these pledges become a reality.
The commitment asks for:
- More space
- Slower growing breeds
- Natural light
- Better air quality
- Enrichment materials (like perches and straw bales)
- More humane slaughter methods
Please will you help put an end to the shameful decades of breeding chickens to suffer. By making a donation to Compassion today, you will help to:
- Open more doors at the top levels of retailers, food manufacturers, restaurant chains, and huge catering companies who feed businesses, hospitals and schools. Each of these companies has the power and influence to end cruelty to millions of chickens and other farm animals.
- Campaign to persuade politicians, their advisors, scientists and academics that simply calling for ‘more chicken’ isn’t the answer to global health and environmental threats. For the sake of animals, humans and the planet, the baseline for all meat and dairy products must be ‘eat less and better’.
- Research and publish vital guidance to show the food industry that improving farm animal welfare makes sound business sense. Of course, companies should respect animal welfare simply because it is the right thing to do. And often they will – but money talks too.
- Campaign, in the media, in our towns and cities, and online to show people the truth about factory farming. To show them how much power they hold, through their food choices, to give farm animals a healthy start and a life worth living.
- Ensure that, when businesses commit to stop selling cruel food, they stick to their promises. This means monitoring, advising, facilitating change, recognising success, and asking tough questions. Our job isn’t finished after a welfare pledge has been made. It continues until the animals are actually living better lives.
Thanks to your support so far, progressive companies and many consumers are already rejecting animal suffering. They recognise that engineering animals for faster growth or higher yields is an abuse of power; that keeping animals confined in crowded sheds is a sign of a broken food system.
But billions of animals have yet to feel the effects of this movement for change. Your gift could help change that. This is the start of a shake-up of the whole chicken industry. But we have a lot of ground to cover, and many more animals to reach.
Please make a donation today to help give all farm animals a better life.